Monday, February 10, 2014

February Musings

Usually on Mondays at this time I am Sitting at my desk at work trying not to look at the clock and mulling over what I want for lunch as my stomach begins to growl.
 This Monday I am lucky enough to have off as it is the slowest time of year at the office. Its another freezing day in Wisconsin. A high of only 7! Brrrrrr.
 This winter has been particularly harsh. Not so much with snow but, with horrible and freezing temps that dip to -40 with wind chills. Its nearly the middle of February and everything is still frozen and hushed. There is about 3 to 4 feet of snow piled up around every ones mailboxes. Its a mini Antarctica on my street...well everyone in the state for that matter!
 But, despite all the horrible weather I feel an odd kinship with this month that I have never felt before.
I think its perhaps because January was so horrible and dark. It truly felt like an endless and frozen night that would go on forever. When the months changed though....as soon as it happened...a change. The sunlight seems slightly more golden. The birds have begun to sing again in the mornings. My heart nearly Burst when I first heard them. It was a sign. A faint sign perhaps but, a sign....that winter has begun to weaken. Even if its just a smidgen. February has given me hope that winter really will end. Even as I type this I look out my window at the clear blue sky. It still has that winter blue color but, it is a deeper hue than January. I even see some birds flying from tree to tree and the wind is calm today. Spring will come again.

1 comment:

  1. oh april, i feel such kinship with these thoughts, your heart. january was an icy claustrophobic place, a perpetual night. but with february and yes! the birdsong, i heard again and believed it: within you is a world of spring. eager for may day with you.

    ReplyDelete